Saturday, July 23, 2005

Beverly Hills

Spago
176 N Canon Dr, Beverly Hills, 90210 - (310) 385-0880
The flagship of Wolfgang Puck's culinary empire, and a necessary restaurant for me because of it's historical role in California cuisine. I had a stunning meal there:

- five kinds of foie gras
- farmer's cheese ravioli, one Austrian Puck childhood dish seemed important
- a pretty good seared tuna (they ran out of the crab-stuffed skate I wanted)
- samplings of a superb veal chop with Yukon potato gratin, and equally succulent Kurobuta pork belly with Parmesan polenta
- ripping German riesling, can't remember the name
- cheese course with expert selection dude! This was great, he actually came up with my favourite soft cheese, Epoisses.

What a great way to close out my LA dining days. Still a taco truck meal or two from departing for Davis, but I'll always remember Spago!


Footnote: the late lamented Umenohana was in Beverly Hills.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Michael Gonzales said...

Great Place

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home